Friday, October 1, 2010

Slap Ya Mama Crab Spread



No, this is not an appetizer that condones domestic violence. That's just the name of the cajun seasoning that I used. You can really use any cajun seasoning you want...but you can't call it SLAP YA MAMA CRAB SPREAD unless you use some Slap Ya Mama. You'd just have to call it "Cajun Crab Spread". Yawn.


This only takes a few minutes to prepare, but you should chill it for at least a few hours so the flavors will mix. I brought this over to my brother and sister-in-law's house last weekend. I made it in the morning...took less than 10 minutes total, and then threw it in the fridge until we went over to their place for dinner. And then I found $5 (which is what we say in my family when somebody tells a pointless, boring story that isn't very entertaining...because when you find $5, the story suddenly gets exciting).


Slap Ya Mama Crab Spread


4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese

1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise

8 oz imitation crabmeat, chopped

1/4 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1 garlic clove, pressed

1 1/2 - 3 teaspoons of Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning



  1. Place cream cheese in small mixing bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until softened. Add mayonnaise and whisk until smooth.

  2. Chop crab meat. Chop celery and bell pepper. Add ingredients to bowl.

  3. Add garlic to bowl and mix everything.

  4. Add Slap Ya Mama to taste.

  5. Cover and refrigerate spread for at least three hours. Serve with crackers, toasted bread slices or pita chips.

Tips from Sarah


  • If you make it as directed, with the low fat ingredients, 2 tablespoons of the dip is only 40 calories.
  • I didn't make it with reduced-fat mayo, and the flavors were still good. There are just certain things I don't think you should buy as reduced fat or fat free...like mayo. It's meant to be regular. If you want a reduced fat sandwich, develop a relationship with yellow mustard.
  • I served the dip with toasted sea salt pita chips. The chips complimented the dip very well.
  • I used a crab/shrimp combo instead of crab only, which was delicious.
  • The first time I made this, I only used 1 1/2 teaspoons of Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning. It had a nice flavor to it, but I like a bit more of a zing. Just remember - with cajun seasoning a little goes a long way.
  • If you do purchase Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, you are required to yell "Uhhhhhh slap ya mama" after each bite.

Enjoy!!

S

---------

Eating: I just ate a chicken fajita pizza I made for lunch. I'll post that recipe on here when I develop a catchy name.

Annoyed at: Myself, for accidentally snipping my son's finger when I was cutting his nails. I may have cried longer than he did.

Listening to/Watching: America's Next Top Model

Shopping for: Nada

Sidenote of the Day: My son is wearing a camo outfit. Thinking back to high school and college...never thought I'd have a child wearing camo.


No comments:

Post a Comment