Sunday, September 26, 2010

Taco Lasagna


I'm all about fusion foods. I was a huge fan of Chino Latino before it was crazy packed all the time. So I bring to you a Midwest Italian Mexican easy to make masterpiece. Mexican, because of the flavoring. Italian, because of the pasta. Midwest, because of the cheese and sour cream.

This is definitely what I would call a "weekend recipe," because it has to go into the oven for 1 1/2 hours. That being said, the preparation portion is extremely easy and will not take that much time.

Taco Lasagna

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup water
Package of Taco Seasoning (1 1/4 oz)
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups salsa or picante sauce
2 cups sour cream
1 (2.2 oz) can sliced black olives
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 - 3/4 green onions, chopped
1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese

  1. Brown ground beef and drain fat. Add taco seasoning and 1 cup of water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  2. Place four uncooked lasagna noodles in bottom of 9x13 pan. spread half of beef mixture over the strips. Place four more noodles on top of the mixture and then spread the remaining half of the beef mixture over the strips. Top the remaining mixture with the last four noodles.
  3. Combine salsa/picante sauce with the 2 1/2 cups of water. Pour mixture over top of casserole. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
  4. Combine sour cream, onions, olives and tomatos in small mixing bowl. Spoon over the top of the casserole after it's done baking. Top with the shredded cheese and return the pan to the oven for 5 - 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Tips from Sarah

  • I used whole wheat pasta, and you couldn't tell the taste difference. I hid the pasta box and my husband never even mentioned anything. Yes, I have to hide healthy substitutes from him, or he swears the food doesn't taste as good.
  • If you're not super noodley (I just created that word), you can omit the last layer of noodles.
  • The shredded cheese can really be whatever type of cheese you enjoy, but I used a Mexican mix.
  • It will look like you don't have enough meat when you spread it on the noodles, but it evens out.
  • I used light sour cream and could not tell.

ENJOY!!!!

------------

Eating: Cinnamon rolls. Woot for Sunday!

Listening to/Watching: America's Next Top Model marathon. Tyra Banks is so ridiculously overdramatic. Loves it.

Annoyed at: Nada.

Shopping for: I still need that perfect pair of shoes.

Sidenote of the Day: My son smiled at me this morning. I never realized that something so simple could make me so over the moon excited.

2 comments:

  1. I will send you my address, and will look for the lasagna and cinnamon rolls posthaste. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have finally been vindicated and validated as a good mother! My life is complete......now if I could just recover from Chris putting me in a Figure 4 wrestling hold......

    ReplyDelete