Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Love Letter to my Husband, and a Thank You to my Friends


You’re an officer’s wife?  That must be fun.

You’re a deputy’s wife?  Oh…I bet you never see your husband.

You’re a trooper’s wife?  Uggg…I bet that’s hard on your family.

All these statements are completely right.  And completely wrong. 

I am coming up on five years of being married to a law enforcement officer.  I’ve been in a relationship with him for seven years.  A man who, when we started dating, was a patrol deputy who either worked 6am to 3pm or 9pm to 6am.  His “weekend” was never my weekend, and he was exhausted a lot.

But we fell in love, because we always found time for each other.  I remember in the early days of our relationship, I would meet him for a cheeseburger at McDonald’s at 10:30pm on a Friday.  A few times, right when we would sit down to eat, Dustin’s radio would start barking and suddenly I was alone.  In McDonald’s. At 10:45pm. On a Friday.

But other times, I would wake up to breakfast brought over to my house bright and early.  I would sit down and enjoy my breakfast before Dustin went to bed and I went to start my day. 

And other times, when I took my daughter to softball while Dustin was on shift…I would see a glimpse of khaki and black out of the corner of my eye.  He was there.  And he always timed it perfectly for when Trin was up to bat.  He would smile like a proud dad, clap for her…and then the radio would crackle…and he was off.

These scenarios…still vivid…make me happy.  Because he was always there.  He always made time for his family as well as his community.  A lot of parents won’t do that, even if they could make the time.

Fast forward seven years to the present.  I am married to a sergeant (same guy...if you're counting :)) who oversees people crimes for the County of Pennington.  His hours have changed.  He’s supposed to work 8 to 5, Monday through Friday.  I wish criminals knew that.  Because they tend to commit the “big crimes” on the weekend, or in the middle of the night.  So we get a phone call.  And then I get a kiss.  And an apology…and then he’s off.

You would think this makes me angry.  Or frustrated.  Or disappointed.  Maybe on a holiday.  But that’s what my husband does.  I am so proud of him.  It would be selfish for me to say “stop doing what you’re sworn to do.  I’d rather watch TV together.”  Or, “Seriously?  We had plans to paint this room!  That victim can wait!”  There are wives out there that are like that, and it makes me sad.  And it makes me sad when he apologizes, because he shouldn’t.  He’s doing his job.  A job I knew about when I married him, and a job he is so good at.  He needs to be there.

Oh my gosh!  He must be gone a lot!  Based on that description, you would think so.  However, if I look at the whole picture, and not just a few snippets, it is completely different.  Since school started, only two nights have been spent as a “single mom” because of work.  The rest of those nights?  Dustin is coaching Pee Wee football for Tyson’s team.  Or grilling dinner.  Or yelling at the Steelers on the TV.  Or being the amazing multi-tasking dad and husband that I fell in love with almost instantly.

And I treasure the nights when he is home with us.

And I treasure the nights when he is protecting the community.

Law Enforcement needs the support of their families and friends.  Why?  Because they are the ones that run towards the towers.  My husband would stand between me and a bullet.  Many might say, “well my husband would do that for me too!”  But would your husband do it for me?  Because my husband would do it for you.

Because that’s his job.  It’s a job I can’t wrap my head around.  A job where men and women willingly go to work with the goals of “going home safely to my family” and “keeping this community safe”.  So when I hear people making disparaging remarks about law enforcement because of one encounter they didn’t like, or when I see people accusing officers of brutality because they had the audacity to defend themselves, or to make sure they got home safe to kiss their babies…then that makes me burn.  People just don’t get it.

I am thinking of my friends and family today who walk the thin blue line. 
May you forever know my gratitude for being the lions who will run toward the towers. 
Thank you for your service.
Sarah Morrison
Proud Law Enforcement Wife
Chairwoman, Fraternal Order of Police Wives Club

No comments:

Post a Comment